2016-2017 International Student Competition on Cold-Formed Steel Design
The mission of the International Student Competition on Cold-Formed Steel Design (CFS Design Competition) is to promote higher education in cold-formed steel structural design and to encourage students to use creative thinking skills to solve engineering problems.
After the successful 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012 and 2011 competitions, the 2016-2017 Competition is open again for all students worldwide. We encourage the participation of any students at any level in any major as long as you are creative, interested in designing things, and eager to learn new technologies.
Cold-Formed Steel Engineers Institute, www.cfsei.org
- National Science Foundation, www.nsf.gov
- American Iron and Steel Institute, www.steel.org
- American Society of Civil Engineers, Committee of Cold-Formed Members, www.asce.org
- University of North Texas, www.unt.edu
The competition is open to students around the world who are enrolled in undergraduate or graduate college programs. Teams can register as individuals or as groups.
The 2016-2017 CFS Design Competition Problem:
The design problem is a 3 story cold-formed steel condominium building located at 8601 Scholar Lane, Las Vegas, Nevada 89128 USA with 26912 sq. ft. (2500 sq. meters) of useable floor space. The primary load bearing and lateral structural system shall be cold-formed steel framing, designed to IBC 2012 and governing American Iron and Steel Institute (AISI) specifications with load combinations taken from ASCE 7-10.
Jury and Judging Criteria
The jury consists of engineers, architects, contractors, and cold-formed steel manufacturers. Submissions will be judged in three main categories:
- Design: Resourcefulness, constructability, creativity;
- Structure: Structural system performance and efficiency reflected in the calculations, details, and use of cold-formed steel framing in combination with other construction materials; and
- Impact: Impact on the surrounding community and the environment.
Each team may request an engineer mentor from the Cold-Formed Steel Engineers Institute(CFSEI) to support their work.
The jury will distribute $3000 in cash prizes at the 2017 Cold-Formed Steel Engineers Institute (CFSEI) Expo with award categories determined at its discretion.
Design Package and Submission Info
The submission package shall be sent by 12:00 p.m. GMT on March 31, 2017 to firstname.lastname@example.org and contain the following:
- Executive design summary with participant names and collegiate institutions
- Revit model of full 3D building including structural system and finished building including façade ( Revit is free for all students http://www.autodesk.com/education/free-software/revit)
- Structural design calculations (maximum 10 pages, use of design software is encouraged); and
- Summary table with total volume and weight of each construction material used in the building structural system and facade.